Think about how you felt the last time you had to call for professional help to clear up a blocked drain or toilet. Once it all comes back to you, chances are you’ll be wide open to suggestions on how to prevent future such headaches.
Blocked drains are all of the following: messy, ill-timed (is there ever a good time for one?), potentially embarrassing and, for the most part, fairly easy to prevent. So let’s get going with Blocked Drain Prevention 101, shall we?
- Never grind up fibrous foods in your garbage disposal. Your disposal simply wasn’t meant to handle things like lettuce, spinach, cooked celery, and more.
- Keep FOG out of your kitchen sink drain. FOG stands for “fats, oils, and grease.” Once inside your drain lines, they have a tendency to adhere to the inside of your pipes. And once the accumulation is thick enough, water has pretty much nowhere to go.
- Don’t use your toilet as a waste basket or ash tray, and don’t let anyone else, either. Toilets are designed to process human waste and toilet paper, and not much less.
- Cover your shower drain with a screen. We can’t tell you how many times we’ve been called in to unblock a shower drain caused solely by built-up hair and soapy by-products.
- Proactively treat your sink and tub drains to an organic drain cleaning product. Here at Snappy, we carry and would be glad to get you a supply of Bio-Clean. It’s safe on your pipes and the environment, and more effective than store-bough chemical drain cleaners, to boot. Bio-Clean is not available or retail purchase.
- Run hot water in your kitchen and other sinks after each use to help flush them of any foreign matter than accidentally made their way into your drains.
- You can also concoct a natural drain cleaning solution consisting of one cup of baking soda followed by one cup of white vinegar followed by 2 quarts of boiling hot water, and let all that sit for 30 minutes before using the sink again.
Okay, so now that you have all these various techniques down pat, that means you’ll never have to worry about a blocked drain again, right? Ah, if only we could make such a promise. But we can’t. And neither can anyone else.
But here’s a promise we can make, and keep. If and when you run into a problem with your toilets or drain lines, you can count on CT Mechanical Solutions for fast, dependable service, and with all the equipment and experience we need to handle even the toughest of drain cleaning, repair, or replacement issues. CT Mechanical Solutions – ready to serve you now.